Saturday 16 August 2014

Nice day for a white wedding: Nick and Sufia (Fri, August 15)

SO HERE IT is then, and I am hardly feeling up to the mark. I have a massive hangover and only wake up the morning side of noon because the phone rings and it is my bank back in London asking me all sorts of security questions. In the state I'm in it's like having to compete in Mastermind, or perhaps Jeopardy if you live in the States. The bloke on the other end seems satisfied with my answers and two hours later Visa ring to approve an emergency cash payment. Hurray.

I take a bike taxi to the local supermarket. It is on the same street as our hotel, King Street, and I think it's going to be an easy walk, but in searing heat I am soon suffering. I have to reach no 1,015 and I'm at no. 500 or there abouts when I give up the ghost and flag down a young lady on a pushbike with a seat behind it. She charges about a dollar a minute and happily takes me to my destination. On the way we pass the American cinema where Nick and Sufia will later celebrate their nuptials. Outside is a car belonging to the Charleston police department and the cinema sign announces: It's a Wonderful Life, starring Sufia and Nick. Quite brilliant. I wonder if the cops have already been warned about our reputation.

I take the opportunity to complete some of the shopping I'd planned the day before when I was rudely interrupted. I pay way over the odds for something called the American Doll, quite beautiful and she comes with a complete wardrobe of accessories depending on how much you can afford. My little 4-year-old Livvy, who loves dressing up as a cowgirl, will be delighted that she now has a doll with the same attire, although to kit her out costs about as much as Kim Kardashian spends on clothes. A few other odds and sods purchased and I take a rest before getting booted and suited for the frivolities to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment